Braeside uses some of the borough’s finest sporting facilities, including the Peter May Centre for indoor and outdoor activities, Loughton Swimming Pool, and the Lee Valley Athletics Centre that was used as an Olympic training venue.
The PE programme is designed to promote physical activity and incorporate the thinking involved in making decisions, selecting, refining judging and adapting movement. Through our programme pupils are encouraged to develop physical competence in a broad range of activities as well as personal qualities of commitment, fairness and enthusiasm.
All pupils are expected to participate in the regular inter-house competitions. The school teams are selected on ability and compete within the borough and ISA. Clubs and after school activities are open to all.
Key achievements include:
- Running and jumping
- Throwing and catching in isolation and combination.
- Participation in team games.
- Application of basic principles of attacking and defending.
- Development of flexibility.
- Strength technique control and balance.
- Taking part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and as a team.
- Comparing performance and demonstrating improvement to achieve personal best.
- Short Tennis
- Cross Country
- Gymnastics/ Dance
- Outdoor adventure activities.
Pupils are assessed at the end of each unit of work, the results of which are recorded and progress tracked throughout each Key Stage. Stamina and fitness are monitored by means of the multi-stage fitness test designed by Loughborough University.