Year 5 had a very exciting science lesson this week. They were testing what happened when they mixed two chemicals together, sodium bicarbonate and vinegar, which contains acetic acid.
Very carefully they poured a little vinegar into a plastic bottle and put some bicarbonate of soda into a rubber glove. They then stretched the glove over the top of the bottle so that the bicarbonate of soda fell into the vinegar.
The results were quite impressive! The pupils noted that the bubbling of the solution meant that a reaction was happening, then the glove started to blow up! This was because when the two chemicals react, one of the things that is made is carbon dioxide gas, which couldn’t escape because it was trapped by the balloon. It was a great, interactive lesson.